I saw a number of prediction posts for the upcoming year as I was surfing the web today, and I figured I’d write my own. So without further ado, here are ten predictions for this year:
- Donald Trump will still be president at the end of 2018 (confidence level: 8/10)
- The cryptocurrency space will attract more investment, leading to inflated prices. However, a number of weaker performers will fail in Q3 and Q4 (confidence level: 6/10)
- The US will not enter a war with North Korea within the next year (confidence level: 9.5/10)
- Georgetown will be more selective than ever, and its overall and undergrad business rankings will go up (confidence level: 9/10)
- We’ll see a large public backlash to the first significant CRISPR trials that get mass media attention (confidence level: 7/10)
- Amazon will officially make a play in the healthcare space (confidence level: 8.5/10)
- Google’s Waymo self-driving cars will scale to “mainstream” use (i.e. availability outside the Bay Area) this year (confidence level: 5/10).
- Disney’s streaming service will include original content from their Marvel and Star Wars properties, drawing a significant crowd from other players like Netflix (confidence level: 5/10)
- Obamacare / the ACA will not be repealed (confidence level: 8/10).
- Income inequality will get worse, and the angry demographics in the US and abroad will feel more threatened and get even angrier. (confidence level: 10/10).
So those are my ten predictions for the year. Let me know whether you agree or disagree in the comments.
And last but not least, Happy New Year!
Also published on Medium.